World premiere of a new GTI: First up! GTI¹ is a tribute to the original GTI
- DNA of an icon: the concept of the 115 PS up! GTI follows the genetic heritage of the first Golf GTI (110 PS)
- Festival highlight: world premiere of the up! GTI concept car at the legendary GTI Meet at Lake Wörthersee (24 to 27 May)
- The production version of the 197 km/h up! GTI will be launched into the market early next year
Wolfsburg – A circle closes 41 years after the debut of the first Golf GTI: at this year’s GTI Meet at Lake Wörthersee (24 to 27 May), Volkswagen is presenting a compact, sporty car very much in the spirit of the original GTI
- the new up! GTI. The concept and power output of the 85 kW / 115 PS up! are broadly in line with the Golf GTI MkI presented in 1976 that had 81 kW / 110 PS. The near-production concept car pays tribute to this icon
- with compact dimensions, a low weight, a powerful engine, sports running gear and the typical insignia of a GTI (including red stripes in the radiator grille, seat covers in “clark” tartan pattern). This sporty small car will certainly bring a new dimension of driving fun to the compact A typical GTI feature is the sophisticated sports running gear. It gives the car the agility akin to that of a go-kart, yet it also offers a high level of comfort. The production version of the up! GTI will be launched into the market in early 2018.
With the up! GTI, Volkswagen is building a bridge that spans four decades: when the first GTI was launched in the 1970s it democratised access to fast roads around the world – especially the overtaking lane of German motorways. Where large saloons and expensive sports cars had previously set the pace, the new compact Volkswagen suddenly stirred up the field. The red stripe in the radiator grille, the black double stripes across the side sills and behind, the black stripe on the tailgate immediately identified this Volkswagen as a GTI. Its 110 PS powered a kerb weight of just 810 kg and accelerated it to 100 km/h in 9.0 seconds. Top speed: 182 km/h. The colours for the market launch: “mars red” and “diamond silver”. Later, white and black also became established as GTI colours.
The new up! GTI continues the creed of the lightweight and no-frills sports car with a compact format – from outside and inside similar in size to the original GTI. It is driven by a turbocharged engine (TSI) with powerful 230 Nm torque. The key data do indeed read like a Golf GTI MkI catapulted into the present day. Weight: 997 kg (significantly high-strength steels and more airbags). Vmax: 197 km/h. 0-100 km/h: 8.8 seconds. Colours: classic once again and typical of the GTI – the plain colours “tornado red” and “pure white” and the metallic colours “dark silver”, “black pearl” and – as a new GTI colour – “costa azul” (blue).